QuestionsContact Rebecca Weger
The training in classical ballet technique for students ages 11-13 becomes more intensive as students advance to two or three classes per week in the Middle Division. Pointe work for the girls and men’s work for the boys begin in this division. Students are encouraged to add jazz, theatre dance and/or character dance to their training program. Audition opportunities for The SRB Ensemble II and Richmond Ballet company productions such as The Nutcracker enhance the ballet training in this division.
New students need to be placed by The School of Richmond Ballet faculty prior to the start of the Fall session.
- Parents are asked to please remain in the lobby during class times, so that the student can focus his/her entire attention on dance.
- The School is not responsible for lost or stolen personal property. Please leave all valuables at home. Please label dancewear with student’s name.
- Dance is a strenuous activity. The School suggests a complete physical prior to starting classes.
- Students are not permitted to participate in a class after entering late without the permission of the instructor.
- Absences should be reported prior to the missed class at (804) 344-0906 ext. 228. Students are urged to make up any classes that are missed if there is another class option (of the same level). Make up classes must be completed within the session. Ask your child’s instructor for advice on make up class times.
- For their safety, students should wear street clothes and shoes when entering and leaving the Richmond Ballet building.
- Tuition is non-refundable except in the case of serious illness or injury with written verification from a physician. The School of Richmond Ballet does not refund registration fees.
- Classes are contingent upon meeting required enrollment numbers. The School of Richmond Ballet may cancel any classes not meeting enrollment requirements.
- Students may bring non-breakable water bottles to class. Food and/or other beverages are allowed in designated snack areas only. Gum is not allowed in the Ballet building.
Click here for the Middle Division Fall/Spring 2015-2016 Brochure: Middle Fall Schedule 2015-2016
*Note: Our brochure may take several minutes to download*
Middle Level Girls: Ballet
- Middle I and II: Mirella M515L Navy leotard. This is a scoop neck, cap sleeve leotard with princess seams.
- Middle III: Mirella M515LD Periwinkle leotard. This is a Scoop neck, cap sleeve leotard with princess seams.
- All Levels: Pink footed dance tights
- All Levels: Pink leather full sole ballet slippers with elastics sewn across the in-step, no canvas ballet shoes.
- Middle II and III: Pink pointe shoes with ribbons.
- Middle I: Faculty will instruct parents when to purchase pointe shoes
Middle Level Boys: All Levels of Ballet
- White or Black fitted T-shirt, must be tucked in
- Black footed tights rolled on a belt with dance belt undergarment
- Black leather full sole ballet shoes with elastics sewn across the in-step
- White leather full sole ballet shoes with elastics sewn across the in-step with white socks are optional
- Boys & Girls: Ballet Attire
- Girls: Black knee-length circular skirt (not chiffon wrap-arounds)
- Boys: black jazz pants optional
- Girls: Black heeled character shoes
- Boys: Black jazz shoes
Jazz & Theatre Dance
- Any color leotard, tights, or T-Shirt and jazz pants
- Theatre Dance students wear red, white, and black only
- Black jazz shoes for Jazz and Theatre Dance
- Only mandatory uniform leotard may be worn to Ballet and Pointe classes
- No split sole or canvas ballet shoes; leather full-sole with elastics across in-step only
- Pointe shoes must have ribbons
- No skirts, sweats, warmers, jewelry, or watches
- No footless or rolled up tights in Ballet or Pointe classes
- Hair should be pulled back neatly from the face; in a ballet bun for girls
The School of Richmond Ballet dress code attire can be purchased at Ellman’s Dancewear in Carytown.