QuestionsContact Rebecca Weger
Students ages 8-12 begin taking classes twice a week to enhance their ballet training. Lower Division ballet students are placed in class by the faculty according to their skill level and accomplishment, not by age. Ballet class incorporates classical training in barre and centre floor work. Students have the option of adding jazz, character dance and/or theatre dance classes to complement their ballet training.
New students, over the age of 8, with previous training need to be placed by The School of Richmond Ballet faculty prior to the start of the Summer Session.
Click here for the Lower Division Fall Brochure 2014:
- Parents are asked to please remain in the lobby during class times, so that the student can focus his/her entire attention on dance.
- The School is not responsible for lost or stolen personal property. Please leave all valuables at home. Please label dancewear with student’s name.
- Dance is a strenuous activity. The School suggests a complete physical prior to starting classes.
- Students are not permitted to participate in a class after entering late without the permission of the instructor.
- Absences should be reported prior to the missed class at (804) 344-0906 ext. 228. Students are urged to make up any classes that are missed if there is another class option (of the same level). Make up classes must be completed within the session. Ask your child’s instructor for advice on make up class times.
- For their safety, students should wear street clothes and shoes when entering and leaving the Richmond Ballet building.
- Tuition is non-refundable except in the case of serious illness or injury with written verification from a physician. The School of Richmond Ballet does not refund registration fees.
- Classes are contingent upon meeting required enrollment numbers. The School of Richmond Ballet may cancel any classes not meeting enrollment requirements.
- Students may bring non-breakable water bottles to class. Food and/or other beverages are allowed in designated snack areas only. Gum is not allowed in the Ballet building.
Click here for class information: Lower Fall Schedule 2014-2015
*Note: Our brochure may take several minutes to download*
- Lower I and II: Eurotard Brand, Light Blue short sleeve, scoop neck leotard, mandatory uniform
- Lower III: Mirella Brand, Royal Blue, style M515C, mandatory uniform. This is a scoop neck, cap sleeve leotard with princess seams.
- All Levels: Pink footed dance tights and pink leather full-sole ballet shoes with elastic across the in-step
No split sole or canvas ballet shoes; leather full-sole with elastics across in-step only
- Lower I & II: Black knit shorts, a white fitted t-shirt and white socks
- Lower III: Black footed dance tights rolled on a belt, worn with dance belt undergarment and a white fitted t-shirt
- All Levels: Black leather full-sole ballet shoes with elastic across the in-step
Jazz & Theatre Dance
- Any color leotard, tights, or t-shirt and jazz pants
- Theatre Dance students wear red, white, and black only
- Black jazz shoes for all
- Boys & Girls: Ballet Attire
- Girls: Black knee-length circular skirt (not chiffon wrap-around)
- Boys: black jazz pants optional
- Black jazz shoes for all (girls may wear black, 1.5-inch character dance shoes if they would like)
- No varied necklines, strings, halters, low backs, or decoration on leotards. Uniform style only.
- No skirts, sweats, warmers, jewelry, or watches
- No footless or rolled up tights in Ballet classes
- Hair should be pulled back neatly from the face; in a ballet bun for girls.
The School of Richmond Ballet dress code attire can be purchased at Ellman’s Dancewear in Carytown.