QuestionsContact Susan Collet
The Lower Division features three levels of ballet instruction for students beginning at age 8.
Advancement through the Lower Division is based on a student’s level of skill and accomplishment, not his or her age. The School’s faculty evaluates and places each student in the appropriate level.
Students in the Lower Division attend ballet classes that incorporate barre and center work twice weekly and have the option of adding Jazz, Character Dance and/or Theatre Dance classes to enhance their training.
New students, with previous training, need to be placed by School of Richmond Ballet faculty.
Please contact Susan Collet
Student must be required age for Lower Level I by September 1, 2017. Lower Division students are required to take classes twice a week.
|Lower I||201A||8-10||M 4:15-5:15pm
|Lower I||201B||8-10||M 5:30-6:30pm
|Lower I||201C||8-10|| T 5:30-6:30pm
|Lower I||201D||8-10|| W 5:00-6:00pm
|Accelerated Basic Ballet||299A||10-14|| W 6:00-7:15pm
Student must complete Lower I or be placed by SRB faculty. Lower Division students are required to take classes twice a week.
|Lower II||202A||Placement by Faculty||M 4:15-4:15pm
|Lower II||202B||Placement by Faculty|| M 5:15-6:15pm
|Lower II||202C||Placement by Faculty||T 4:15-5:30pm
|Lower II||202D||Placement by Faculty||T 5:30-6:45pm
Student must complete Lower II or be placed by SRB faculty. Lower Division students are required to take classes twice a week.
|Lower III||203A||Placement by Faculty||M 4:30-6:00pm
|Lower III||203B||Placement by Faculty||T 5:30-7:00pm
Jazz, Modern, and Theatre Dance may be taken individually or as a combined program with ballet. Character Dance may only be taken as a combined program with ballet.
|Character Dance||210A||S 12:15-1:15pm||$656.00||$174.00|
|Theatre Dance||213A||T 4:15-5:15pm||$656.00||$174.00|
- Parents are asked to please remain in the lobby during class times, so that the student can focus his/her entire attention on dance. We have designated specific days when parents are invited into the classrooms to observe student progress.
- The School is not responsible for lost or stolen personal property. Please leave all valuables at home. Please label dancewear with student’s name.
- Dance is a strenuous activity. The School suggests a complete physical prior to starting classes.
- Students are not permitted to participate in a class after entering late without the permission of the instructor and may be asked to observe the class.
- Absences should be reported prior to the missed class at (804) 344-0906 ext. 228.
- For their safety, students should wear street clothes and shoes when entering and leaving the Richmond Ballet building.
- Tuition is non-refundable except in the case of serious illness or injury with written verification from a physician. The School of Richmond Ballet does not refund registration fees or deposits. Please read all financial information »
- Classes are contingent upon meeting required enrollment numbers. The School of Richmond Ballet may cancel any classes not meeting enrollment requirements by June 15, 2017.
- Students may bring non-breakable water bottles to class. Food and/or other beverages are allowed in designated snack areas only. Gum is not allowed in the Ballet building.
- Lower I and II and Accelerated basic Ballet: Eurotard Brand, Light Blue cotton short sleeve, scoop neck leotard, mandatory uniform
- Lower III: Mirella Brand, Royal Blue, style M515C, mandatory uniform. This is a scoop neck, cap sleeve leotard with princess seams.
- All Levels: Pink footed dance tights and pink leather, full-sole ballet shoes with elastic across the in-step
No split sole or canvas ballet shoes; leather full-sole with elastics across in-step only
- Lower I & II: Black knit shorts, a white fitted t-shirt and white socks
- Lower III: Black footed dance tights rolled on a belt, worn with dance belt undergarment and a white fitted t-shirt
- All Levels: Black leather full-sole ballet shoes with elastic across the in-step
Jazz & Theatre Dance
- Any color leotard, tights, or t-shirt and jazz pants
- Theatre Dance students wear red, white, and black only
- Black jazz shoes for all
- Boys & Girls: Ballet Attire
- Girls: Black knee-length circular skirt (not chiffon wrap-around) – can be ordered through SRB
- Boys: black jazz pants optional
- Black jazz shoes for all (girls may wear black, 1.5-inch character dance shoes if they would like)
- No varied necklines, strings, halters, low backs, or decoration on leotards. Uniform style only.
- No skirts, sweats, warmers, jewelry, or watches
- No footless or rolled up tights in Ballet classes
- Hair should be pulled back neatly from the face; in a ballet bun for girls.
The School of Richmond Ballet dress code attire can be purchased at Ellman’s Dancewear in Carytown.