QuestionsContact Rebecca Weger
Once students have achieved an advanced standard of classical ballet technique, the faculty places them in the Upper Division. This division provides students ages 14-18 the pre-professional training needed to pursue either a professional ballet career or a college dance major. Two course options in this division vary in intensity. Both options emphasize classical ballet technique with additional classes in modern, character dance, jazz and theatre dance. Performance opportunities with The SRB Ensemble and in Richmond Ballet professional company productions are an important part of this division.
New students need to be placed by The School of Richmond Ballet faculty prior to the start of the Fall session.
- Parents are asked to please remain in the lobby during class times, so that the student can focus his/her entire attention on dance.
- The School is not responsible for lost or stolen personal property. Please leave all valuables at home. Please label dancewear with student’s name.
- Dance is a strenuous activity. The School suggests a complete physical prior to starting classes.
- Students are not permitted to participate in a class after entering late without the permission of the instructor.
- Absences should be reported prior to the missed class at (804) 344-0906 ext. 228. Students are urged to make up any classes that are missed if there is another class option (of the same level). Make up classes must be completed within the session. Ask your child’s instructor for advice on make up class times.
- For their safety, students should wear street clothes and shoes when entering and leaving the Richmond Ballet building.
- Tuition is non-refundable except in the case of serious illness or injury with written verification from a physician. The School of Richmond Ballet does not refund registration fees.
- Classes are contingent upon meeting required enrollment numbers. The School of Richmond Ballet may cancel any classes not meeting enrollment requirements.
- Students may bring non-breakable water bottles to class. Food and/or other beverages are allowed in designated snack areas only. Gum is not allowed in the Ballet building.
Click here for the Upper Division Fall/Spring 2015-2016 Brochures:
*Note: Our brochure may take several minutes to download*
Upper Division Girls: Ballet
- Mirella M515L Black leotard*
- Pink footed dance tights and pink leather ballet shoes with elastic across the in-step and pointe shoes with ribbons
- Upper students may wear other color leotards on Saturdays
Upper Division Boys: Ballet
- Black ballet shoes
- White socks optional
- Black, grey, or white fitted T-shirt worn tucked in
- Black dance tights with feet, worn with dance belt undergarment and rolled with a belt at waist
- Boys & Girls: Ballet Attire
- Girls: Black full-length circular skirt (not chiffon wrap-around)
- Boys: Black jazz pants optional
- Girls: Black character dance shoes
- Boys: Black jazz shoes
Modern, Jazz, and Theatre Dance
- Any color leotard and tights, or T-shirt and jazz pants or bike shorts
- Theatre dance students wear red, black, and/or white only
- Black jazz shoes for jazz and theatre dance
- Bare feet for modern dance
- Only mandatory uniform leotard may be worn to Ballet and Pointe classes.
- No skirts, sweats, warmers, jewelry, or watches
- No rolled up or footless tights in Ballet or Pointe classes; tights must be worn under leotard
- Hair should be pulled back neatly from the face in a ballet bun for girls